View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 8:34 PM
Honored Member

Talking Different Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunB6 View Post
An interesting gathering (March 15th) at the Red Lion in Idaho Falls. As expected, a healthy turnout. Very impressive. But I couldn't help but feel the "listeners" were just checking off another box enroute to completion of this project. There are political entanglements, obstacles rather, to overcome, but of the 500 or 600 in attendance, a near majority were in favor. Sure there will be opposition, especially once the Statement of Environmental Impact is completed this summer.

Hereis the list of the competing sites/locations with their sponsoring organizations:

1. Atomic City (ID) EnergySolutions, LLC
2. Barnwell (SC) EnergySolutions, LLC
3. Hanford (WA) Tri-City Industrial Development Council/Columbia Basin Consulting Group
4. Hobbs (NM) Eddy Lea Energy Alliance
5. INL (ID) Regional Development Alliance
6. Morris (IL) General Electric Company
7. Oak Ridge National Laboratory (TN) Community Reuse Organization of East Tennessee
8. Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant (KY) Paducah Uranium Plant Asset Utilization, Inc.
9. Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant (OH) Piketon Initiative for Nuclear Independence, LLC
10. Roswell (NM) EnergySolutions, LLC
11. Savannah River National Laboratory (SC) Economic Development Partnership of Aiken and Edgefield Counties

There are two additional sites that were selected by DOE identified as possible locations for an advanced fuel cycle research facility, bringing the total to 13. FYI - EnergySoluntions is the former Salt Lake-based Envirocare.

Open comment continues through April 4. Impact statements due this summer.

And for the benefit of those readers who were not in attendance, nearly 100% of the comments were in favor of building one or all of the GNEP parts in the gem state. There was some opposition, they remained quiet, likely waiting for impact statements to be made public. No sense being run over by the proverbial business bus filled with 500 supporters. I would be interested in the thoughts of others in attendance.

This will also be a hot topic in presidential politics circles.
SunB6, Please see east Idaho's suggestion above about dividing this thread into true proposed, developing and current construction projects vs. proposed new huge growth, due to new companies like Hoku, Iogen and GNEP. I've proposed that perhaps the comments about GNEP and other energy-related developments, until construction starts - which will be it's own thread- might fit best under the GNEP in Idaho...... thread.

Please review and see what you think. If you agree, for reasons of continuinity, would you post what you've posted here in the GNEP discussion? I plan on doing that as well. It will all faster access to what they are looking for when visiting the thread.

Thanks