View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
Any road/bridge built to the sunshine coast is certainly going to be a tolled route. Just about everything else built these days is tolled so why would this section be any different. Nothing is free..
Agreed and I also realize that. IMHO, both the population on the Sunshine Coast as well as the AADT on the Horseshoe Bay to Langdale ferry run currently do not warrant a highway replacement at $1.5 - $3 billion.

BTW, the 2015 AADT of the Horseshoe Bay to Langdale run is just a puny 2,903. Current ferry fare (1 car + 1 passenger) equates to about $70 one way. I suspect that any highway toll would be considerably much higher.

(I could work backwards on a 40-year asset life cycle + annualized maintenance + principal/interest amortization + applicable discount rate over same time frame for a rough tolling figure at outset but it's a time consuming exercise).

Ergo, I suspect that the existing Langdale ferry run is much more cost effective and cheaper for the consumer over the mid-term. It's akin to when MoTI conducted a study of a a crossing of the Georgia Strait to Van Isle. Huge tolling figure. Again, when the population of Van Isle increases by another million+ over the next 50 years it could potentially be feasible. But not over the mid-term.