View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 3:19 PM

Nice work on part 2 of the view from Lilac Terrace, 3940dxer.

Here are a few more buildings from the New Year's Eve 1951 picture. On the left is the Sentous Block, Hotel Atlantic and Hotel Pacific on N Spring. They were all demolished a long time ago, and the site is now part of the El Pueblo parking lot. For color pictures of these buildings, check out post #15394 by Flyingwedge. Moving right, the trees are in the Plaza with Pico House on the side. The lighter building above Pico House took me a while to find because it's further back than I originally thought. The City Directories list the Los Angeles Warehouse Co at either 310 or 316 Commercial Street (see below). With the rearrangement of the street layout, that site is now on E Temple Street, and has been home to the Edward Roybal Federal Building since 1991. Under the Sentous block on the left are a few buildings on New High Street - more on these below.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

The LA Warehouse Co is the light-colored building above the Federal Courthouse on the right. This picture, taken before the freeways, also shows the Baker Block on Main (mentioned numerous times before, e.g. post #4541 by Los Angeles Past), the Plaza and a couple of the Brunswig buildings.

Here's an advert for the Los Angeles Warehouse Co from the 1926 CD.

LAPL

This is another detail shot for the same pre-freeway picture seen above. The Terminal Annex is in the top left corner. Roughly in the center are the Sentous Block, Hotel Atlantic and Hotel Pacific. The white building with the pointed roof (which I've arrowed) is 618 New High Street. Its light color and pointed roof makes it stand out in the original 1951 view.

At last, we have a survivor. Propertyshark.com says that 618 New High Street was built in 1908 and last altered in 1978. I also thought that the building on the right, 612 New High Street, might be a survivor since the upper floor has a similar window layout in the earlier pictures, but various property sites say it was built in 1980. The dark building at the far left on New High Street in the picture above is another survivor. Built in 1890 (propertyshark.com again), 648 New High Street is now the New Battambang Restaurant, although it's not visible in the 1951 view.

GSV