View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 9:36 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Statements like this are absurd. Which buildings have spires? ESB? Chrysler? BoFA, American International? Times? Thats 5-6 towers, granted high profile, but hardly enough to define a city the size of New York, which is clearly more dominated by boxy buildings. There are a few antennas too on WTC, Bloomberg, and Conde Nasty in the mix too.
It can't absurd, 'cause it's true. At least people living in NY should know that the term "city of spires" is a general consensus. Since NY started building tall, the major characteristic of a skyscraper was its spire. It's no coincidence that the tallest building at that time always had a spire (from Singer to Met Life to Woolworth to 40 Wall to Chrysler to ESB to 1WTC).

And an intermezzo of international style buildings doesn't change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Are you sure about that?
Yes I am, see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
I think what he meant (he's right) is that ever since the days of the tall steeple of Trinity Church (which at a point LONG ago was the tallest in the city) every building has been built with some sort of needle like capstone. Many buildings like that were built and together they made the city into the city of spires. These days the BOX effect (many boxes) with many International Style buildings have made the effect of the spires go away.
I agree. The new towers in Midtown (BofA, NYTT, Conde Nast, Bloomberg) have somehow reduced that effect. Let's hope the new WTC will be a new focal point so the ugly boxes at the waterfront are overlooked.