Thread: NCC Greenbelt
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 8:45 PM

I just wanted to weigh in on this topic. I would like to see some of the lands developed, but I wouldn't trust the typical developer to do it. I'd love to see Canada Lands Corp. handle the development. They know how to build actual communities with engaging streetscapes instead of suburban garage montages.

Also, I had the rare luxury to grow up near a small enclosed wood (80,000 sq feet) and it was great. If they do develop, I hope they take the opportunity to plant some urban forests and let the land revert to nature. Those islands of nature can be absolute treasures for kids.

And 20-25% sounds about right. Leave all the non-farmland untouched, and provide for buffers and connecting channels as required to ensure wildlife doesn't get stranded.

If the city ever decides to use the existing rail lines in the west end for transit then park-n-rides at baseline&richmond (fed from the 416) and at 417&Moodie would be no-brainers.

And the block bounded by Woodroffe, Greenbank, Fallowfield and Hunt Club is crying out to be used for something other than corn.