View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 7:11 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Is it not natural because that is how they've always done it? Or is there a another reason? (I believe 'that's hows it's always been done' is the most BS excuse available to man kind against change)
It's natural because it's what every other (for the most part) residential road is set at. Having to suddenly drop your speed nearly by half, for a very short distance, with no perceived safety reason beyond signage (let's face it, most school and playground zones are deserted 99% of the time these speed limits are in place) is therefore extremely unintuitive.

If you feel it's worthwhile to set residential zones to 30, everywhere on the continent, and retrain a few hundred million drivers, all at once - then sure, we can change. That's about the only way to make this really work. Until then however - people will do what people will do.

Kids aren't getting killed because of 50 km/h, which is the norm practically everywhere else. I'd love to see statistics showing that Calgary is any safer for children than any other Canadian city, most of which do not have 8000 playground zones scattered about with strict enforcement (a ticket for 33? seriously?). And I'd also love to see the statistics that show a meaningful reduction in children being struck by cars since Calgary implemented the strict 30 zones. Surely these haven't been around forever. I also want these statistics to be adjusted for the fact that kids under 14 practically aren't allowed to WALK anywhere these days, anyway.