View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 1:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Should someone tell the asylum seekers that JT's remarks about Canada being a compassionate, welcoming place are meant for domestic consumption only?

If you ever wanted evidence that Canada is no different from anywhere else and the "I got mine, so screw you" attitude prevails, I think this thread will suffice.
Guys, I agree that Canada as a country can stand to take in more refugees but I also see cornholio's point about many of these claimants possibly being economic migrants. I really don't know the stats on who they are, nor am I qualified to judge what constitutes a valid claim.

I do know however, that current system of illegal entry leaves our hands tied. People are already on Canadian soil so unless we flat out deny entry to all claimants based on the fact that they broke the law, we have no choice than to grant ALL of them a hearing.

This is where I disagree. Some may very well be criminals or simply economic migrants from Bangladesh for all we know. These people should be denied entry. Scrap the STCA and enforce the illegal entry law, forcing people to report to the entry points. People with legit claims should be admitted.

Now I understand it's not politically expedient to scrap the STCA so soon after Trump got elected, but I leave that to the diplomats. Otherwise it's the citizens of this country that are at risk. Well, that or enforce both the borders and STCA and deny everyone, which is a bit extreme in my mind. Then again, I don't buy that the US is as bad towards refugees as some people here seem to claim. What would people do if the US decided to withdraw from the UN convention on refugees and simply accepted no one? Would this bring the world to a grinding halt? Refugees choose to go to the US. They could just as well choose to go somewhere else instead.