View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
There's no reason the pedestrian should just step in front of a car. If common sense is applied (i.e. the pedestrian and driver make eye contact prior to the pedestrian stepping out in the road) then there is no issue.

My beef with giving cars the right of way is that as a pedestrian I'll be standing at the corner at an unmarked crosswalk for 20 minutes in rush hour before I can cross. As it is, most drivers stop for me, but if they have the right of way and know it, I bet this will change fast. I think that because cars are the more dangerous of the 2, we need to make the rules such that drivers have to pay extra attention.
Yes common sense says that you shouldn't just walk into the street when there is a car coming yet pedestrians still get hit. Every single one of those pedestrians walked into the street when there was a car coming. Every SINGLE one. If cars have the right of way that would never happen.

Put pedestrian lights up at those kind of intersections. Not like the ones we currently have where each pedestrian gets the magical power to stop all traffic for themselves but ones that have a delay just like at real intersections.

Thats a very backwards way of fixing that specific problem. Somethings you can't fix with a law, like the sun glaring into your eyes. Even with the best sunglasses you could still miss someone walking into the middle of the street like an idiot.