View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 7:03 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
Yes common sense says that you shouldn't just walk into the street when there is a car coming yet pedestrians still get hit. Every single one of those pedestrians walked into the street when there was a car coming. Every SINGLE one. If cars have the right of way that would never happen.

Put pedestrian lights up at those kind of intersections. Not like the ones we currently have where each pedestrian gets the magical power to stop all traffic for themselves but ones that have a delay just like at real intersections.

Thats a very backwards way of fixing that specific problem. Somethings you can't fix with a law, like the sun glaring into your eyes. Even with the best sunglasses you could still miss someone walking into the middle of the street like an idiot.
Pedestrian accidents more often than not occur because of driver inattention, I would bet that there are very few accidents each year where the pedestrian wasn't in a mark crosswalk.

The party with the most at stake should always have the right of way, a car is a 2000-4000 pound block of metal protecting its occupants, pedestrians/cyclists do not have this protection. If a pedestrian/cyclist takes a risk they risk only themselves physically, if a driver takes a risk they risk everyone around them as well as themselves.

As a pedestrian/cyclist it takes me much more human energy to accelerate from a stop than the driver, sorry I will press the crosswalk button when I arrive at the intersection, I will not wait for a break in traffic. If they happen to coincide that's great for the drivers.

If a driver is blinded by the sun, then they should slow down to the point where if something happens they can stop, speed limits are not the recommended speed only a maximum and a vehicle should only travel those speeds in ideal conditions (i.e. right next to never).

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.