View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:26 AM

The name change of the thread makes my previous post obsolete!

On to substantive issues: while this is a nice looking tower, I think the drawings are a bit deceptive as to the perspective -- this will be seriously close (about 70 feet) to the existing 25 story Sequoias tower, which is presently one of the more visibly imposing buildings in the area. So it will look awkward from the West, coming East up Geary, as it will be seen as sort of sprouting from behind the Sequoia. From the South or North, both buildings will look oddly close (far more than in the drawings, which seem to place the new tower further South than it actually is). So the only unobstructed view of the new tower will be from the East (downtown), over the 14 story Cathedral Hill Plaza (which is, generally, a non-entity). To give an idea of what a small footprint this is on, it will rest on an area presently occupied by two consecutive tennis courts, lying width-wise between the Sequoias and Cathedral Hill Plaza. In all, I don't think this will be as graceful as it appears in the drawings, and will actually create a rather crowded effect.