View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:22 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I'm not insisting anything. I'm simply saying that small streetscape buildings are important too. You may not think so, but these in particular don't belong to you do they? In the absence of the ability to clear the superblock and create some 'tower with a plaza out front', the architects have had to be extremely creative in their integration. And I think they've done it quite interestingly.

I'm not in favor of preservation for preservation's sake. And as an architect, I've certainly had my fair share of arguments won and lost on the subject.

I stand by my statement that these small 'leftovers' ,if you will, can create something accidentally wonderful. 50 years from now, people will look at the block and say 'what an interesting juxtaposition'. It's organic city development at its finest.
Agreed. San Francisco has far too many sterile plazas and undifferentiated blocks of bland modern office towers. This couplet of old, small buildings (which appear to be attached in the middle of the block even though they front different streets) will help the new super-block retain a human sense of time, scale and place.