View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 9:26 PM
BANNED

So after checking the UN Convention on Refugees, Aylmer is (of course) correct, they have the right to cross borders without obeying local illegal entry laws.

While in my mind this clearly runs counter to a country's sovereignty, what else is new? International treaties run counter to national sovereignty as a matter of course.

I'm not here to argue that here in Canada our way of life is in any danger from a temporary slight rise in refugees entering from the US, but if circumstances were different - as in if we were a small country close to a large conflict zone, then by these rules we might face a serious threat to our culture.

Doesn't that seem a bit nonsensical to anyone? Are you really obliged to accept EVERYBODY that wants to come to your country? What if you're a small rich country of 2 million next to a country where a conflict has displaced 8 million? Such a country could choose to withdraw from the treaty or it could change it's laws making it less attractive to asylum seekers. I guess if you're really facing a serious threat of being swamped, there's always a way out.