View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:32 PM

While it does nobody any favours to lump all Trump voters as deplorables, I think we would all be surprised by how high a percent of the population lacks any scruples, and would support barbaric activities if it meant that they could personally get ahead in life. It's basically selfishness taken to its extreme.

For example, after the war, the US occupation force conducted a poll of Germans about their thoughts on the Holocaust. Something like >30% of the Germans living in the American zone thought that the Holocaust was "necessary for the security of Germany". This was after all the evidence of what had happened in the camps was laid out on the table for everyone to see.

We'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Americans who lack a moral compass, and who voted, voted for Trump.

This is presumptuous on my part, but the fact of the matter is that if the left wing is guilty of anything it's that people on the left think they know how you should live better than you do, and people on the right are guilty of being selfish.

Trump himself is selfish. The Trump platform was about being selfish. There was no prescription of how to build a "better society". The left is about meddling, yes, but the Trump campaign was about tearing down that meddling.