View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 6:06 PM

Ah yes, I suppose it's that time to pretend that neonazism never occurred before Trump, that things like the KKK never existed, and how we should all just ignore the fact that Obama's tenure as President was marked by significantly deteriorating race relations - note, it was correlated, not caused, but things like Attorney General Eric Holder referencing "my people" when throwing out cases certainly didn't exactly get things off to a very good start.

It's always depressing witnessing the vapid intellect and gargantuan ignorance on display, all in the name of political opportunism to promote one brand of politics over the other. For all our advances as society - cell phones, a criminal justice system, the internet - these instances of shameless political commentary really represent the abyss of human nature staring us in the face and how close we are teetering on the edge.

Blaming Trump for Charlottesville is like blaming Obama for Dallas - nonsensical politically charged garbage that any halfway intelligent human being with an ounce of empathy would be ashamed of leveraging into some kind of grotesque justification for "their political side".

The fact of the matter is that many of the social problems occurring is a byproduct of the fact that the American government has been failing the American people for generations - some would say the New Deal was the last significant social reforms the American people ever saw - and it isn't the fault of whoever is sitting in the white house that is the problem, it is the disingenuous hypocritical bought and paid for members of congress who perennially sit on their hands making their friends rich while doing jack all for the American people. There is a longstanding pattern of Federal power continually usurping State-level institutions such as education and welfare, and driving those programs into the ground. Whenever Canadians blather on about wishing for a system of government with stronger centralized powers I always wonder if they have any idea about what is currently happening south of the border. Threads like this remind me they generally don't have a clue.

Regardless, as I think it goes without saying that most people here would lean towards favouring a certain political ideology on the left - I would really implore especially those younger readers to start paying attention, thinking critically, and cut through the garbage. Whether we are talking about George Bush, Sarah Palin, Stephen Harper, Brad Wall, or Donald Trump, the playbook seems the same - concoct a mountain of venomous rhetoric, hurling the most sensationalist and hyperbolic caricatures at your political opponents, and then scratch your head and wonder how things got so divisive.

Is it really the case that all those individuals who just happen to reside on the other side of the political spectrum are really these ignoble cartoonish monsters who have no redeeming qualities and who are solely propped in power by the lowest subhumans who happen to be living among us?

I leave it as an exercise for the reader, but you won't find your answers here among rhetoric such as has occurred on the last few pages.