View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:57 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

This week: We have breaking news on the rail transit line in downtown's IQ District and a new city park with a massive mural! We are moving closer to having rail transit in Winston-Salem!

Video Link

Future City Park & River Otter Mural:
Mural artist Daas, from Japan, will create a 50 foot tall (15.25 metres tall) and 270 foot wide (82.3 metres wide) mural as the centerpiece of a future city park. This is a highly visible site for people traveling into downtown from the south. Daas has recently completed murals in China and Portugal.

While the park is still in design, we can follow work on the mural.

Placement markings from the artist:

Credit: thatguydoub

Stevens Center Renovation:
Would you like to name a building on Winston-Salem's skyline? This is now possible, if you donate $10 million to UNCSA for the Stevens Center Renovation. Think how often you hear the name "Stevens Center." It could be your name or your company's name spoken that many times and connected to art events in the city! The famous artists on that stage could say your name and have your name on their list of tour dates. If I had $10 million I could donate, I could change the name of The Stevens Center to The Matthew DuMont Center for the Arts and look for my building on the skyline. I could see my name in lights on a 1920s-style reproduction blade sign on the building. (...checking my pockets for money) Sadly, I don't have $10 million to make that happen. However, you or your business may have $10 million or more to donate and change the name of the Stevens Center to your name, a family member's name, or your business' name. Contact UNCSA about this opportunity and the major renovations can begin. You could play a major part in the transformation of this historic building and see your name on it!

Incendiary Brewing Company:

This is the part of the power plant where the brewery will open:

Credit: jasonwilliams_ws

West End Station:
An update on this large apartment project, taken at the state's largest food truck festival:

Credit: DWSP

Link Apartments 4th Street:
As permits are filed, we have learned this will be a 224-unit apartment development. We can see they have increased the number of apartments and increased the amount of retail space in this project.

Hotel Indigo:

This photograph is a few weeks old, but we can see inside the larger window openings in this image:

Credit: tim_hutch

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

Work is now starting on the fifth floor (as of Wednesday):

Credit: sidneyhunterdesignco

A great update from the WSTB Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum
Work has started on wood framing on the eastern side: (This was a poetry slam & spoken word event on Sunday... awesome!)

Credit: soldendswithd

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
News is breaking, right now, on the rail line. The development team behind downtown's IQ District, several universities, and the development team behind Whitaker Park would like to see rail transit in place along this route and are asking for a study. If the city votes yes, it will spend $50,000 to create the study for the rail line. The NC DOT will donate the rail line (valued at roughly $7 million) to the city, which will count as the city's 20% match for any federal transportation funds. Yes, little or no city money involved and most of the track is already in place! This rail transit line will have dedicated right-of-way (ROW) and run North-South from Wake Forest University and Whitaker Park to Winston-Salem State University and Salem College and pass-through downtown's IQ District and the LJVM Sports Complex area. Cost estimates are currently at $35-40 million for this rail transit service. As I've said before: They have already completed all of the updates for this (posted below) section of the rail line, through downtown's IQ District, so part of this project is ready-to-go right now! I'll try to make a post, showing some of the rail information, in a few days. This is breaking as of yesterday, so we need to see all the details. Yes, RAIL TRANSIT on dedicated ROW in Winston-Salem! EXCITING! Keep in mind: The walking and bike path will open tomorrow at 11 a.m.,.

View from Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: uroplatus

you can see the rail line to be used for a proposed rail transit system on the far left:

Credit: innovationquarterymca