View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 1:16 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I only wish that were the case. As much as I love the ESB, I think the owners should be fined by the city everytime 5th Avenue out front becomes too congested to even walk by. The stream of tourists and the line could be managed a lot better than it currently is. There are some people who would actually like to walk on that sidewalk.
I guess things are only going to get worse:

New York City hits tourism record

A view of lower Manhattan from the observation deck at the Empire State Building in New York City. (flicker.com)

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City tourism officials say with a falling dollar sweetening the deal for international travelers, a record-setting number of tourists visited the city last year. They spent an estimated $28 billion.

The tourism office estimates 46 million people had visited the city in 2007-- up five percent from 2006.

The jump was largely due to visitors from other countries, who numbered an estimated 8.5 million -- a growth of 17 percent.

But the head of the city tourism office says more than the exchange rate is behind the tourism boom. He says the city is more vibrant, cleaner, safer and exciting than ever before.

New York is one of only a few U.S. urban centers that did not see a drop in the number of overseas visitors between 2000 and 2006.

(whptv.com)

I ❤️ NY