View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallman02 View Post
Brasfield & Gorrie says it is low bidder on UAB project

Brasfield & Gorrie said it is the low bidder for UAB's planned Women and Infants' Facility, which will provide general women's services, labor and delivery, a neonatal intensive care unit and a radiation and oncology department.

The general contractor did not specify the amount of its bid, but the project has previously been estimated at $140 million. Planned for a site at 17th Street and Fifth Avenue South, the facility will have 10 floors and cover 630,000 square feet.

Brasfield & Gorrie expects a letter of intent and notice to proceed by March 1. The design/build project is expected to be complete by the end of 2009.

The project team includes Gresham Smith and Partners, Walter Schoel Engineering, I.C. Thomasson, LBYD Inc., Hardy Mechanical, Wayne J. Griffin Electrical and Joiner Sprinkler.

Dawn Kent

Filed at 5:35 p.m.
Interesting... originally an 11-story proposal... then I thought they took it down to maybe 7 or 8-stories... and now back up again to 10-stories. The thing I will say about UAB, however, is that they get things done pretty quickly. From the time they announce a project, to when construction begins, to when it's actually complete. The whole process seems to go a world of a lot faster than alot of these other proposals downtown.

I'm hoping they hurry up and start on the Residence Inn near 5 Points as well as that Hyatt Place hotel. There actually were alot of folks here last year in local hotels for the Papa John's Bowl. And this next year, looks like the BJCC might be host not only as a 1st/2nd Round site for the NCAA Basketball Tournament, but also for some new SEC-Big East showdown that they're trying to startup. Going to need lots of hotel space downtown for all of these events. Be nice to see some more retail/bars between now and then as well. Seems a bit unlikely maybe, but I hope those hotels are complete anyway.