View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 12:51 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Lots of communities across north America have very large football stadia located in their cores with little in the way of parking close by. Urban planners argue that you do put stadia on transit corridors, but they don't have to be roads. As long as transit compensates, it is a far more palatable proposition than building in outlying areas that depend on the automobile.

Lansdowne in Ottawa is just such an example. They rejected Kanata because it's in the middle of nowhere and is really only accessible by car. It causes sprawl.

University of Alabama's football stadium is right in the heart of Tuscaloosa, population 206,765 and their stadium holds 92,012 people. There is some parking, but nowhere close to what this stadium holds. People bus in, walk, cab, etc. There are a myriad other examples across the continent. The idea that one needs big, high capacity roads is a 1960s mentality that causes sprawl. Progressive urban planning is about concentrated nodes, density, and efficiency. People need to be encouraged to congregate in the core, not sucked out to the outlying areas.

Besides, we're not proposing anything close to this size stadia. Just a puny one that will probably never grow past 30,000 in size.
Well put. You have convinced me that the DND area north of the Forum lands is the best location. It would have good transit and is surrounded by relatively high density. Plus, there wouldn't be the public outcry that would exist in the South End.

Quote:
You realize that's why people get fed up and move to Ontario.

The prevailing attitude in Nova Scotia seems to be 'It won't ever happen so let's just plod along and do nothing'. If Nova Scotia wants to keep more of its young people, that type of thinking has to stop. Nova Scotia needs to start getting things done and move forward. People aren't going to wait around forever for things to happen. After a while they'll give up and move to a province that has more initiative and drive. Life's too short.
I also have to agree. Many Haligonians have a "can't do it" attitude although this seems to be changing bit by bit with several successful concerts (Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, etc.) and other events (IIHF playoffs, G7 Summit in 1995, George Bush's visit while still president, several international conferences, etc.). Surprisingly to me, as a native Nova Scotian, many people from the Toronto area go to Halifax and have positive things to say about the city. This was always surprising to me (in the past) since when living in Halifax I always thought of it as being far inferior to Toronto. However, Halifax continues to make large strides forward. Now please make the next step forward and build a stadium! (anything at all).