View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2008, 8:40 PM

Reposting my post from General Updates:

I don't think EcoDensity was terribly daring to begin with, but it sounds like they're trying to cater to NIMBYs even more. They added a lot of concessions like "...while respecting neighbourhood character", "In making such recommendations, staff will consider the benefits and potential
impacts (e.g., number of such lots, parking spillover, livability)..." that water down the actions.

Quote:
Staff be directed to report back to Council on by-law amendments that would allow the Director of Planning to consider up to 10% additional discretionary density for development projects in the Downtown and Central Broadway areas, without a rezoning, where urban design, form, and architecture are deemed appropriate.

Since some sites would not be able to accommodate a potentially cumulative 20% additional discretionary density from an appropriate urban design perspective, how would the City make the choice of whether the bonus would be for heritage or public benefits bonus, or some of each? How would the spending of the accumulated funds be determined?
Okay, this is getting kind of ridiculous. It's called EcoDensity and a 20% increase in density is too much? I can't think of any locations where that would be the case.

Quote:
Removal of Barriers to Green Building Approaches
Staff be directed to report back to Council with proposed by-law amendments, after
stakeholder consultation, to remove or mitigate existing disincentives to greener building
design practices, including:
• FSR exemption for above-grade mechanical space for hydronic heating and cooling
systems;
• FSR exemptions relating to wall thickness where improved insulation is achieved;
• FSR exemptions for larger balconies where they contribute to energy performance and
occupant comfort;
• Discretionary minor height relaxations for roof mounted renewable energy
infrastructure or appropriate access to green roofs;
• Amending side yard and overhang requirements to allow for greater application of
fixed external shading devices.
This seems silly. Extremely specific FSR exemptions are just too much micromanagement for my liking.