View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 4:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
"I hope they'll look at the cost of the current project and an alternative that will clearly save them money," said Joseph Clift, a member of the Regional Rail Working Group and retired LIRR director of planning.

To do so means returning to one of the alternative plans to send trains to Penn Station, instead of to a proposed deep cavern station about 150 feet under 34th Street. That plan, known as alternative G, was rejected by NJ Transit because of engineering and geological issues.

But Clift said that although some of those issues are "engineering challenges," they are not "fatal flaws," as NJ Transit officials have contended.

"We say kill the 34th Street station plan and go back to the draft environmental impact statement plan of February 2008 and build the route to Penn Station. It will save $3 billion
Well, if they could have those trains terminate in the new Moynihan section of Penn Station, I'm for it. But Penn Station is crowded enough as it is, they would have to find a way to circulate the additional transit population through the concourses. But if it will keep that tunnel under construction, do it. Because I don't think we'll get the oppurtunity to do it again in our lifetime.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.