View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post

Which commute is better depends entirely on where you're coming from. For me coming from Brooklyn, the commute to WTC is way better than HY. Same goes for the rest of Brooklyn and people living in Lower Manhattan. Not to mention Jersey City as well and anyone else living by the PATH train. Plus people coming from Staten Island given that the WTC is walking distance from the ferry. Staten Island to HY would be a really difficult commute. It really all depends where you're coming from.
I'm not sure any of this is true. I live in Brooklyn, and have worked in Midtown and Lower Manhattan, and they are about equal commuting distance.

The trains that run express in Brooklyn (like the N and the F) run to Midtown, not Downtown. So, for example, if you live in Bay Ridge, or Park Slope, your commute to Midtown is about the same as Downtown.

The Jersey waterfront has PATH to both Midtown and Downtown, so the same. Ferries and express buses go to both locations too, but more go to Midtown.

For Staten Island, most people take express buses, which serve Midtown and Downtown. Midtown is probably a few more minutes, but overall not a huge difference. And SI doesn't have a large population.

Overall, Midtown is the center of the region, and accessible to more people. I prefer working in Lower Manhattan, BTW, but it's pretty clear that the region's transit centers on Midtown.