View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
wow silly me. I love paying more taxes. What was I thinking? I can't believe EVERYONE is for this. Sure it might not be a big deal now when gas is only a $1.50, but have we already forgotten that not too long ago we were paying $4.20 per gallon? We all know that as lucky as we have been with gas dropping the way it has, it's only a matter of time before it goes back up again. And once it does goes back up to $4 or god forbid $5 per gallon are we going to want to pay more taxes that will make the cost of gas go even higher. That is my how point.
When is our Gov. going to learn how to better budget our money and not waste it. They waste so much of our money and that's why they have to keep raising taxes.
It isn't about the price of gas. Sure everyone loves to pay as little as possible for things, but we need to get real about some things. Roads are incredibly expensive to build and maintain. Somehow we have to pay for the long term maintenance of our roads. The only way to do that fairly is to charge a fee to use the roads. That charge is in the form of a tax on gas. If the current tax cannot create enough funding for roads, then it must increase or maintenance decrease. Regradless of the cost per gallon of gas, the roads still get worn out to the point that they become dangerous and need to be rebuilt. What would you suggest as an alternative to raising or reallocating funds to do this?

I agree that govt. needs to become more efficient, but there are some things that in the long run, end up costing the individual very little compared to the benefit to the masses. Road projects become more expensive and take longer due to environmental reviews, but the benefit of those reviews (cleaner water, cleaner air, etc) are beneficial to all. These things are worth paying for. What governments need to stop doing is circumventing these process so they don't end up in court like the Legacy Highway did. It wasn't the lawsuit that caused delays, it was the circumventing of the process that caused the lawsuit and the delays and increased costs.