View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 7:11 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Ah, my hometown! Well, sort of -- I'm from neighboring Atlantic Beach, but AB is so small (population 1,900) and lacking in retail that you spend a lot of time in Long Beach, plus I lived only a few blocks from the border.

Anyway, I haven't seen the boardwalk reconstruction and honestly didn't even know it was (partially) complete. Is that concrete on the sides and wood in the middle? I wonder what the point of that is. I guess the concrete reinforces the wood or something? I'm glad to see there's some wood, at least -- the boardwalk wouldn't really be the same without it. I know a number of coastal communities doing post-Sandy boardwalk reconstruction have experienced wood-vs.-concrete controversies.
I actually walked through Atlantic Beach last year.. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199703

The Island set up is strange in terms of retail , in the West End its along Beech Street and then it changes to Park Ave for the Center and Eastern End of the Island.

Its Concrete and wood in some areas and all wood in others. Its a strange mix , i'm not sure what there trying to accomplish with that. The wall underneath is wood and not concrete like some towns have done with there new sea walls. personally a Concrete buffer with wood should be mandatory when rebuilding a Boardwalk these days for Storm resistance.