View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman
perhaps i should clarify as to what i consider DT. DT proper to me is encapsuled by burnside, 405 and naito pkwy. With psu and the park blocks being the exception. the pearl, nw, goose hollow and the central eastside i consider to be the DT area.
for most of us here, on this forum, that makes sense. Most people consider Manhattan downtown NY, but indeed there is uptown, and downtown, and Broadway...etc...etc...To my parents that live outside Hillsboro, downtown is NW and the Pearl, and the CBD, SoWa, and the Lloyd...okay not so much the Lloyd

Seriously though, only urban planners and people that live downtown really view the 'downtown area' as a seperate category than 'downtown proper'.

In any case, I'm glad you have high expectations of your city. It has improved greatly in the last few years, and I think with an influx of residents that continue to take pride in their new adopted city, Portland's central city will continue to strengthen and form its own identity comparable to other world class destinations.