View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:47 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I went to Manila back in 2008 and I never really understood the horrible reputation it has. Granted, we stayed in Malate but the city didn't feel nearly as chaotic or overwhelming as I thought it would - in fact, I'd say Bangkok is way more claustrophobic.

That said, there wasn't a whole lot to do there and the highlight experiences were at the malls. You definitely felt more uneasy on the streets vs. other Asian megapolises but the people are generally super sweet and hospitable.

Good set, regardless. What did you think of it?
I'm not a big fan of the chaotic traffic, poor public transport, and relatively few attractions. But the people are very friendly and drivers won't run you down when you try to cross the street. Uber really helps as taxis are not recommended but I didn't feel my life was in danger while walking around the pollution-choked streets.

The malls are all full of globalized brands and prices weren't particularly cheap anyway.

I wouldn't recommend Manila for a stand-alone trip, but a quick stop before heading to more beautiful islands in the country.