View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
Fourth and Main

In my readings, it seems the United States and its small and young cities wanted to be more like the great European cities and was attempting to copy their historic styles 75+ years ago. I can also remember reading a good number of architects of that time hated these non-load bearing classical columns and, what was historic at that time, ornamentation. It was unnecessary and didn't show a forward moving country or the technology advances of that time. People studying to become architects at that time would often study in Europe and sketch some of the greatest European designs while learning about architecture. Those designs greatly impacted what they would design. I would say those early pre-1940 styles seem to be the most popular today and we do still see attempts to build those styles today. Fort Worth has several buildings that look old, but are actually new. I seem to remember their performing arts center was new and art deco, with massive angels blowing horns on the outside. I can also remember seeing a new office building or two that appeared to be around 100 years old. I like all styles and often say there are great examples and bad examples in every style. I will admit to loving Art Deco the most though.