View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 8:46 PM

Toronto isn't a Canadian city. I think Toronto wants to be everything that London, NYC, and LA want to be versus just being Toronto.

The Wolfpack are fresh and tapping into Toronto's ethnic and foreign base. Lots of Europeans, Aussies, old Commonwealth folks who are big into Rugby. They also play an easy game that last a set amount of time. Toronto people are tight for time and football games drag on to damn long. Folks will only have that patience for baseball as it is a pleasing sport to watch live. Wolfpack now have always staeted momentum for more teams in North America. Once you get Montreal, Chicago, Boston, and NYC into the mix it becomes a more sexy product to market overall. The Wolfpack will be at BMO Field in about 3 years once they outgrow Lamport Stadium.

But back to Toronto. It is just a odd place in the context of Canada. Only in Toronto do more Pride flags hang than Canadian flags for the 150th. Toronto has always been a big booster of Pride but they then shy away from expressing Canadian Pride which IMO is the horse that drags the inclusion cart that allows things such as Pride to be so successful in the first place. These should be linked together but in many cases, as corporate Money has flown towards events such as Pride, they will boost their exposure to one more so than the other when both should, at minimum, get equal exposure.

I've been almost all over this country and Toronto just has its own thing going on. Montreal to me felt more classic Canadian even with the culture and language quirks present there. Vancouver is unapologetically Canadian also, let it think it's California, but is very much Canada in the presence of great scenery and weather that is all.

In a perfect world Toronto would be some special administrative zone so it could just be all different on its own and it would never be a topic for discussion on a national level.