View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I think a major problem is that those who possess the political power in the region are not really in tune with the vigorous economy, evolving demographics and market potential of today's Pittsburgh. They still function like this is a hopeless Rust Belt basketcase a la Youngstown or Elkhart ("We'll take any development we can get! Squander prime urban real estate with kitschy chain bars! Go Stillers!"). And of course, the municipal hyper-fragmentation of the region impedes progress as well.

We need to get some innovative DC region planners, designers and public policy people in here. It's not good to have all this land under the control of a myriad of myopic quasi-public authorities (see: Stadium & Exhibition Authority) who would rather trade favors with their cronies (see: Steelers) than pursue the highest and best use.
Well said. I think that you may be one of these "innovative DC region planners, designers and public policy people", even if you're not in DC. Your kind of thinking is what is desperately needed here -- though I surely understand that it's hard to break into the game here.

Certain sectors here are definitely booming, but it hasn't translated to a robust (or even healthy) overall economy in sectors across the board -- yet. I optimistically see it happening, though I think that the predominant attitude and structure you describe among the political set contributes to the Pittsburgh area not moving ahead as it really could/should be.

An organization affiliated with Pitt GSPIA called CONNECT has been involved in some interesting stuff in the region. Do you know about them?