View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
The development standards for this site are defined in the DA including official policies governing the permitted uses of land, density, design, and improvement of the site and to the extent they are consistent with the terms of the DA; the 1992 CCPDO, as amended through 2004, is also applicable. Specific development regulations for this site include the following:
[...]
• Maximum building height of 500 feet above mean sea level;
Oh I see, sorry I don't do as much work downtown so I don't know every one of the ins and outs. Everything I said previously about the FAA, Caltrans, and the 500' AGL limit is still true, but it seems there's also a provision in the Centre City Planned Development District that limits height to 500' MSL. That limit would only apply in downtown SD (abit all of it, so no 2,000' towers in East Village even if Caltrans and the FAA say okay). That's how must of these regulations go, they get more restrictive the more local you get.

A planned development district is pretty much just a fancier local zoning code, so that particular limit could be waived with just a majority vote from the city council. I suspect the amount of extra height you'd get from that would hardly be worth the trouble though.

The SDUT article still makes zero sense though, no one in the world measure building height from sea level. Otherwise all the tallest buildings in the US would be in Denver.

Last edited by Will O' Wisp; Aug 17, 2018 at 12:09 AM.