View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:43 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Oh I see, sorry I don't do as much work downtown so I don'y know every one of the ins and outs. Everything I said previously about the FAA, Caltrans, and the 500' AGL limit is still true, but it seems there's also a provision in the Centre City Planned Development District that limits height to 500' MSL. That limit would only apply in downtown SD (abit all of it, so no 2,000' towers in East Village even if Caltrans and the FAA say okay). That's how must of these regulations go, they get more restrictive the more local you get.

A planned development district is pretty much just a fancier local zoning code, so that particular limit could be waived with a majority vote from the city council. I suspect the amount of extra height you'd get from that would hardly be worth the trouble though.

The SDUT article still makes zero sense though, no one in the world measure building height from sea level. Otherwise all the tallest buildings in the US would be in Denver.
What you said about FAA, Caltrans, and the 500' AGL limit all makes a ton of sense, so thanks for providing that insight. I am just frustrated that there seems to be an additional 500' AMSL limit downtown. And now that you clarified the FAA/Caltrans rules, it seems so arbitrary.