View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 3:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I know it's about financial viability. The point I was trying to make was that even if someone wanted to build a taller tower I don't think the FAR is available to do that without creating a very skinny/unprofitable tower that would be unrealistic to build somewhere like NYC. They changed the status from no-max when nimbies complained.
Nimbies didn't have anything to do with that.

Quote:
I also would like to see no limits on the west side given its the last major development area in NYC. Residents are far away, this is a wasteland and I'm not happy with the decision to reduce FAR.
Even if there are no limits, the fact is no office tower is going to reach 2,000 ft. Towers of 1,500 ft are also costly to build. Other than the WTC, which is only partially being built to restore the skyline, towers aren't built in New York for the sake of building high. These towers serve a purpose, without them the city could not grow or continue as a home for the companies that would seek space elsewhere. Imagine lower Manhattan before the WTC was built, with virtually no new, modern office space. That's what Midtown would eventually become if these new office towers that are planned don't get built. The fact that these towers are as tall as they are says a lot about what's going on, because look around. There aren't that many supertall office proposals in the US. Outside of New York, three come to mind. We will have that many going up at the WTC alone. So all of this bitching about height really makes no sense.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.