View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 8:13 PM

I find it intersting that most of you are trashing the building and yet the only thing that I can see that they haven't done is built out the Suite floors that were (admittedly a key element of the design ballance) but as far as the top is concerned, based on the framing that I can see in the image above. They are executing the top of the building almost exactly as the rendering suggests.

One of the dangers of loosely refined renderings is that it does not articulate the actual materials to a litteral level. There is both good and bad to that. The good is that a lot happens from the time the building is designed until it is constructed, material costs and selections may not be finalized until it is under construction. Also apparently the economy has had them reduce the four upper floors which would have aided the building in both proportion and in its once dramatic material change and set back that made the top stand out.

The bad part of the rendering being somewhat ambiguous is the fact that folks get excited and jump to conclusions as to what those materials are going to be and then are dissapointed when the actual fails to be those materials.

I think judgement of the building will be more effective once the facade is revealed, and we can see the top of the buiding complete.

As far as orientation, who knows, maybe they were trying to engage the street and add some needed vitality. Note those other adjacent parking lots? The economy will one day recover and those would be prime locations for new buildings and so the nature of the street will be changing, but it takes someone to take the risk first and then it is often easier for others to follow suit.

Just some food for thought...FWIW