View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 6:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It is not uncommon for old stock Anglo Canadians to have relatives/ancestors who passed into or out of the USA at some point. Following work, mostly. In my own case, I have distant cousins who have been in the USA for several generations (direct from Scotland); a grand-uncle, now deceased, who lived in California and, I believe, served in the U.S. military; a great granduncle who is buried in Michigan (direct from Scotland); and a "late Loyalist" ancestor (born in Scotland) who came out of the Mohawk Valley in New York and settled in Glengary in 1793. Those U.S. connections are from both my maternal and paternal lines.
It would be pretty rare that a Canadian mostly descended from ancestors who were in Canada by the early 1800s wouldn’t have some American ancestors. I do, on both sides of my family. Some Loyalists but mostly just people who moved westward into Quebec and Ontario in response to economic conditions (and then often moved on to the US Midwest or west in later years). People barely noticed the border in those days and moved from one country to the other almost as easily as they moved between states.