View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Step 1 - increase height limits to 15 or 20 stories.
I think at the very least the height limit should be extended above the current 12 storey maximum. Land is at a premium and there isn't much of it. No company is going to want to develop a "huge" 30 floor tower in the city, there isn't enough demand for that much space. But something between 12-16 floors isn't out of the question. If we fill in all this premium space with lower density development we're not doing ourselves any favours...eventually there may be a need for more office/residential buildings with no downtown land available. This may result in more proposals for development along the waterfront/destruction of heritage buildings. Smart development of this heritage-less area of the city could alleviate the desires to develop in the heritage areas.

Also, if land is scarce in this area we should be promoting the idea of buildings with a smaller footprints (ie. tall skinnies) to increase density.

AND if we're going to try and add density to the area it'll definitely need better public transit access. I'm not sure the number of bus stops within that area of the downtown right now but I don't believe it's many. Maybe some sort of hub in the area would be nice.