View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Well, there 645 municipalities in São Paulo state. 39 on the official metro area and 64 in mine definition, which is comparable to the US MSAs. So it get confusing to you. As I said, you might want to expand your definitions to make them comparable.

[...]

Yes, I know. I left them apart as Baltimore is too important on its own and I prefer to have data for it. To Washington, I added all the other MSAs of the CSA, minus the Pennsylvania one as it wouldn't make sense as Baltimore was left out.
This is where you're incoherent. Santos is as far from Praça da Sé as Baltimore is from Capitol Hill, yet you include Santos in your definition of the São Paulo metro area, but exclude Baltimore from the Washington DC metro area. Not logical.

Personally I've included Baltimore in the Washington DC metro area, because both urbanized areas practically touch each other, and car commute rates in the US are extremely high. On the other hand, I've not included Santos in the São Paulo metro area, because Santos is neatly separated from the São Paulo urbanized area by a mountain range, and motorization rate in Brazil is much lower than in the US, hence less long-distance commuting.