View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:51 PM

I think we all definitely lament the tremendous missed opportunity that City Scape is. It isn't all together horrible, but many of us would have liked something more impressive and visually interesting. I finally had a chance to check it out in January and it was fairly underwhelming. It has some pros, and a lot of cons. One interesting thing was that the pedestrian bridge over Central Ave afforded you some great views of old City Hall, the Luhrs buildings, and the old Jefferson hotel. The unremarkable nature of the City Scape architecture really brings out the beauty of those older structures that surround it. Sort of a sad silver lining I know. It's probably good they didn't build the apartments above the retail, because many of those structures would have been completely walled off from view.

I especially didn't like all the changes in elevation...going up escalators, down stairs, across bridges, up steps. Seemed like they were all arbitrarily put in, not sure why that was considered a good design element? Maybe in 8 to 10 years they'll decide to renovate and have some sort of grand re-opening. Hopefully then they can incorporate some new and interesting features and architectural elements. Just my random thoughts/observations on the place...