View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand how you can think that. I'm not trying to be aggressive or anything. I'm just totally perplexed. The two downtown stations are shown with little more than a block between them. That's too close.
Between Campus and Lebreton, the average station density will be 875m. In downtown Montreal, the Metro stations are 450-500m apart. Similar situation obtains in Toronto.

Downtown East isn't east enough. A portal at Elgin would help justify orienting Downtown East to better interface with Bank Street.

People who actually use transit were telling the planners this basic stuff all along. We were ignored. Like we always are.

Quote:
You could move DTEast (Parliament?) a bit east and as long as the stations have an entry/exit at each end of the platform then the walking distance would be minimal. You'd have a portal on Queen just east of Bank.
There needs to be a portal AT Bank. That's one of the major annoyances of the existing Bus Crapid Transit system; the eastbound "Bank" station is at O'Connor effectively. Makes for shitty transfers to Bank Street major local routes. Transit riders know this. We told them this. They smiled and ignored us in the first round of sham consultations. They didn't even bother smiling in subsequent rounds.

Quote:
Furthermore, even if the station was moved east enough to pull the western exit farther from Bank St., you could just route the buses along Queen and have people transfer mid-block. There is nothing sacred about making the Bank/Queen intersection the focal point for a transfer station.
No, but it's hard to run Bank Street routes anywhere other than Bank. And running them on Queen means more turns in the routes, when OC Transpo needs to make the routes - for comfort's sake, among other reasons - more linear.

(That, and don't give in to the NCC's fantasy of a busless Wellington Street.)

Quote:
Straighten the line from Lees to Train
With or without a Hurdman Station, that segment should be straighter, absolutely.

Quote:
and have buses drop passengers off at Lees. The major problem I see is Lees would be end of the line for some routes and that usually implies a layover area, but Hurdman had plenty of space and is 30 seconds away so just continue to have Hurdman fulfill that role.
There is precious little room at Lees for it to take on what Hurdman takes on, even after you subtract the traffic that would be on the train now.