View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
One issue will be that for occasional riders and tourists, they would have to pay cash if the tickets are removed. One solution I could think of is a special PRESTO card that is not personalized, but simply prepaid. It could have, say, 5 or 10 regular-fare or reduced-fare rides pre-installed. Such would not be compatible with express routes (they would have to pay the balance), but express routes are almost never used by tourists.

A mid-term goal should be to encourage outlying municipalities to get their regional systems onto PRESTO as well (although obviously the fares would be dramatically different).
My preferred option for occasional riders and tourists would be for OC Transpo to install fare vending machines at each Transitway station.

These would be exactly like the O-Train ticket vending machines that currently exist at O-Train stations (which are themselves just re-purposed pay-and-display machines).

These machines would sell single ride tickets (same as cash fare) or day passes, but would allow customers to pay with credit cards (as is the case with the O-Train ticket machines).

This eliminates the requirement for customers to have exact change which in my opinion is a significant inconvenience of using transit from an occasional rider's perspective.