View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 24, 2006, 1:56 PM

As Swede explained it, nothing is going to happen to your Danish identity with further integration. EU is a sum of its member states and nowhere majority of the people wish it to become United States of Europe - there's no reason for anyone to jump to the barricades and claim there is so some sort of conspiracy to turn us all into European zombies, who hum Ode to Joy and stand proudly under the waving blue-yellow flag of stars.

Whenever discussion turns to EU people's opinions get highly polarized. If we streamline the bureaucracy and the bloated decision-making apparatus that's only good. There's no way EU should be in this condition as it is now. In the long run it's only going to have stagnating effect on everything. Personally, my biggest gripe is the agricultural subsidies. Instead of handing out huge sums of money to farmers in France and Poland, that money could be well invested in R&D, for example.

If my four weeks in student exchange have proven me anything, it's that I'm European first and foremost by mindset. Especially the young urban people, no matter where from the "western world" they come from, they're greatly alike. My home country is the only place where I would want to live for a longer time and I love it a lot, but it doesn't stop me from having several identities: Finnish and European.