View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:10 AM
Fourth and Main

Maya Angelou:
Sadly, one of Winston-Salem's most loved artists died this week. Maya Angelou was 86 years old. Very few people have, not just the talent she had, but also the love for others and the community. We all will miss her. She did donate some items that could be used in a museum, which was talked about on WSTB. I really do believe that is the best way this city can honor her. A memorial service was held for her tonight at her church here in Winston-Salem (Mount Zion Baptist Church). It was open to the public. A memorial was also planned at Wake Forest University, in Winston-Salem, where she taught classes from 1982 - 2011. I'm sure the crowd was bigger than the room could hold! She was a person who loved and taught love. As a result, she is loved around the world. She was a warrior for equality, tolerance, and peace. She supported gay marriage and the LGBT community as well. She believed in the power of a great education and our abilities to change the world. We will all miss her.

Maya Angelou Birthday Party at Downtown Winston-Salem's Corpening Plaza Water Gardens:

Source: City of Winston-Salem

A quote from 1986:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Angelou
I expect to be in Winston-Salem the rest of my life. My books are there, my art is there, my friends are there, and my work is there.
Just like us, she loved this creative and friendly city and the many wonderful people here. Those qualities continue to attract people here today.

RAI / LO Merger:
The merger that could transform RAI from Winston-Salem's second largest Fortune 500 headquarters to possibly Winston-Salem's largest Fortune 500 headquarters appears imminent! The conversation isn't if, but when the merger will happen, with both sides providing evidence this is about to happen. This could bring more jobs to their downtown Winston-Salem headquarters. I would love to see them build a new office tower or bring-in a developer to build an office tower on one of their downtown properties and lease from them. I've heard nothing about them doing this, but would love to see it happen.

Hilltop House South:
We haven't had an update on this project in a long time! Thank you to Blum Construction for providing an update! They are still building it, but demand is so high for apartments, they are already leasing them! If you want a unit in this building, talk with them today! There is likely a waiting list? I think it's safe to say there will be another phase of construction. These are built by the former CEO of Wachovia Bank, who lives in the city.

Credit: Blum Construction

New Bar:
An LGBT bar is opening in downtown Winston-Salem's Village District, near the new Link Apartments and the ballpark. No one is sure of the name at this time. According to WSTB, this location is isolated and past bars haven't done too well here, but that could change with around 205 apartments opening nearby.