View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
I was watching NBC News last evening and correspondent Stephanie Gosk…reporting on the heat wave in the US made the comment that Burlington Vermont reached 90 deg and only 50 miles from the Canadian Border!

Wow!.....Imagine That!..... How could it possibly get that warm in Burlington so close to the Canada! And looking at the weather map NBC presented…..those soaring temps just stopped at the Canadian Border. Guess we’re just a big arctic wasteland above!

I’m in Fredericton, New Brunswick today…. also 50 miles from the Border. Today’s high is 32 with a humidex of 41 (also 90 deg with a ‘feel like’ temp of 105)
Actually they're even more wrong than even you think: in southeastern Quebec the temperature averages are slightly lower as you go south and into the U.S. as altitude increases and trumps the impact of decreasing latitude. My lands in northern NH are on average less hot than downtown Sherbrooke by maybe a degree. Makes no real difference on the hardiness of what I grow in both places, but it's noticeable on occasion in early and late winter when the same precipitation falls as snow there, rain here.