View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 6:42 PM

about oneten

Wikipedia's OneTen article

Someone recently added to the wikipedia article that, as of latest statements, 75 condos will be built, and completion is estimated at August 2009. They didn't add a source, but I can't think of a reason someone interested in the OneTen article would insert something (s)he didn't have good reason to believe. Seems to me Blue Chip Properties saw the condo inundation in the market and (rationally) chickened out a bit.

Hotel space is good, though. I've been hearing through multiple sources that the city is under pressure from the state for increased convention capacity, especially with the Rhode Island Convention Center Authority buying out the Dunk and this new $62 million project to renovate it and connect it to the Rhode Island Convention Center. Can't have conventions without places for the people to sleep.

In the op/ed corner: The new Westin looks like a clone of the old one, which is harmless enough. Gtech turned out bland, but at least minimalist enough to not offend anyone's stomach. Intercontinental's Waterplace towers turned out just as uvula-smacking as its renders. God, it's like the ugliness of the Avalon and Fidelity buildings infect anything built near it. I guess it's better than an empty lot, though. At least the Blue Cross building will recess them a bit into the streetscape.