View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
seriously?

you seriously doubt that these 600'-800' tall goettsch towers will be standing in 100 years?

i seriously doubt that you're being serious.

barring disaster (natural, man-made, or otherwise), they'll be there. i'd bet vast sums of money on it. 700' tall buildings don't come down easily or cheaply.

in fact, in chicago's entire infamous career of ripping down the old to erect the new, there's only one single lone example of a tower over 500' tall being taken down: morrison hotel (the building, not the doors' album) back in the '60s to make way for first national plaza.

5 story buildings like general growth? those get knocked with relative ease by comparison.
honestly, no. the pace of change is accelerating ever faster. technological growth is exponential. look at the needs companies demand now vs what was top of the line even 20 years ago. its impossible to forsee what types of infrastructure future generations will demand vs what we consider high end today, but theres a good chance the buildings we have today wont accommodate it. im sure the people who built the first loop skyscrapers, or ornate churches, thought theyd last hundreds or thousands of years, the way greek temples did. while some have been spared due to architectural value, many more have been lost or are threatened.

i think its entirely conceivable the cost of demolition will come way down, as will the overall cost of construction (3d printing buildings or some variation on that probably isnt far off). i fully expect skyscraper teardowns to become a thing, just as much as its become a thing to tear down well constructed smaller buildings (by our modern standards) today.

frankly though, i think the entire notion of people commuting from miles away to come to an office to work at a desk is already outdated.