View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:00 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

The video is impressive, but i had the chance to attend the community workshop today where they had updated renderings and a new video. Also Corgan's architects were on hand to answer questions, (and i had plenty)..

Question #1 While i like the incorporation of the APM (Automated People Mover), why did they choose it over a moving sidewalk?

Their response was, the costs were basically the same as a moving sidewalk and the distance, (which may not look that far) is over 800 feet making a moving sidewalk impratical.

The two APM's will operate independently and should one side break down the other should be able to handle the passenger traffic.

Should the unlikely happen and both break down they will shuttle people to Concourse B.

The APM will allow them to construct the new concourse and central terminal, while the old Terminal B remains operational...

Question #2 How many international arrival gates will be inlcuded and where will they be?

There will be two new international arrivals gates on the north side of the concourse....
(see picture below with red circle)..

(Rendering Corgan Associates)

Arrivals will be diverted at the end of the gate (or bridge), where they will move to a downstairs customs facility and claim their luggage, clear customs and put their luggage back on a conveyor, where they will be reunited once they move to the central terminal (where the main baggae claim area will be).

The architect explained that the reason the luggage will be cleared through customs and put back ona conveyor is because arriving passengers still have to take the APM back to the Central Terminal and they didn't want arriving international passengers crowding the APM's with luggage (smart move i think)..

The customs reception facility is impressive imo, and will allow two arriving international flights simlutaneously. It looks like there will be plenty of room to convert another two gates for international arrivals if demand presents itself in the future.

The two international arrivals gates are "swing gates"; meaning they can also be used for domestic arrivals simply by diverting arriving passengers directly into the new concourse B.

The gates will be able to accomodate nearly any sized plane, but as the architect described, the larger planes 767 and 787 will fit at the ends of the concourse without any problem, but the size of the planes parked (or gated) in the middle of the concourse will depend on airlines scheduling their flights. In other words if American airlines knows that it has a 767 due to arrive, and their assigned gates are in the middle of the concourse, then they probably would need to stagger the flight, to make the larger plane fit.

The architect indicated that Southwest might be a tenant; so I asked him if they were thinking about moving from terminal A to the new Terminal and he said that all the airlines were involved in the discussions. So in other words some tenants of the current Terminal B might move to A while some tenants of A might be decide to move to the new terminal.

I also asked him about the Nimby's and those who stalled Terminal A and drove up it's final construction costs by tens of millions of dollars.

He said the EIR comment grace period had passed and that only one issue remained to be worked out; which he felt would not hold up the project.
They are stil predicting a 2011 opening.

(KCRA reported construction will begin this spring)