View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Even this longtime Leafs fan suffering from Canucks fever

By ED McHUGH | BUZZ FROM THE ’BURBS
Mon, Jun 6 - 4:54 AM

I JUST SPENT a few days on our country’s west coast in Vancouver. The place is Canuck crazy!

In case you don’t follow sports, the Vancouver Canucks play in the National Hockey League. During this past regular season they amassed a league-leading 117 points — well ahead of any other team. They are playing the Boston Bruins in the league’s final series for the top prize in men’s hockey — the Stanley Cup.

It was 17 years ago when the Canucks last played in the finals, while Boston has not been there since 1990. Vancouver has been in the league for 40 years and never captured the top trophy. Boston has five since joining the league in 1924, with the most recent win occurring in 1972 during the Bobby Orr era.

It was fascinating to walk around downtown Vancouver. About half of the people were wearing some version of the NHL team’s jersey. From one-year-olds to those over 90, it was amazing to see. You actually felt out of sync by not wearing some Canucks’ paraphernalia.

Some have described what is happening as a legacy of the very successful Winter Olympics staged there last February. Whatever it is, it is unifying the city in a huge way.

Because of time zones and media coverage, the games start very early by our standards, many at 5 or 6 p.m. While I was there, one semifinal game started at noon on a Sunday.

For weekday games, people either head to the game, rush home from work or wander to their favourite gathering place to share in the excitement. There is a powerful energy in a room when 200 to 300 patrons all rise and fall with each exciting play.

There are usually a few fans of the opposing team, but their cheers are no match for the rest of the room. Many windows are open throughout the city and synchronized "oohs" and "aahs" emanate from buildings.

For three hours, there is a marked decline in pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Throughout the day, all transit buses briefly display a route number that quickly transitions to "Go Canucks Go."

Whenever the Canucks score, transit buses pierce the air with horn blasts. All media outlets, signs and buildings bear the same themed message, longing for their team’s success.

It made me think of the ability of sport to unify humans. Sport can be a very powerful force. Whether it is the Canucks, the Sackville Flyers, the Bedford Eagles, the Halifax Mooseheads or Waverley’s Cheema Aquatic Club, a chord is struck with many fans.

Local or international, the emotional connection we form with these organizations and their participants can be transcending. The success of the Canada Winter Games in February was a great way to unify our own region this past winter.

(Well, except for the debate about the skating oval afterwards.)

We need to continue to seek these opportunities and build on our spunk and spirit. My sense is that as long as the financial risks are reasonable, these kinds of activities have a long-term unifying effect. And I haven’t even mentioned the dreaded divisive words here — Halifax stadium.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/BCW/1247069.html