View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 2:44 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
The idea goes like this:
1) A transit line with low utility is built - like the S Line with 1 car ever 20 minutes.
2) Developers are allowed to build bigger developments in the vicinity of the transit line; however, they build with the same ratio of parking the would elsewhere (or something close to it) because they and everyone else can plainly see the transit line is of low utility (aka, 'it sucks').
3) The developments along the transit line fill the low-utility transit line to its very low capacity; this brings on calls for transit utility to increase by lengthening trains and increasing frequency. The improvements are made, and the transit line achieves at least moderate utility.
4) An increased capacity of the transit line increases property values along its corridor. Rent prices rise. Demand for housing along the corridor also increases. Developers look to find a way to increase the number of units they have on-site, so they do the one thing at their disposal: They take parking spaces in their garages, and turn them into apartments too. Or turn them into luxury features (gyms, pools, lounges, whatever) to justify the high rent prices. They are allowed to get rid of parking spaces like this because the transit line actually works (aka, 'it doesn't suck anymore') and most of the people in the developments can depend on it.
That could work.