View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
There are various species located everywhere that people build. The question is, what is the solution to disturbing wildlife? For example - 1) minimize the amount of land developed by building only highrises, therefore no single dwelling homes or lowrises, 2) put a stop to population growth (this will be required at some time, and is being done already), 3) stop development in the HRM and ensure that all new "shiny buildings" are built in Toronto and Montreal (not a bad idea but what if they decide to stop sending transfer payments?).

The problem that I have with this discussion is that it sounds very pompous; saying that wildlife should be saved at the expense of development doesn't sound reasonable within an urban setting. These arguments just sound very hypocritical without any stated solutions (for example the 3 that I stated above). People also need a place to live, and I personally like "shiny buildings". These "shiny buildings" are the habitat of the human species just like wildlife has their own building developments (beavers build dams, ants build anthills ...). Why should the human species feel guilty for its existence?

The person that made the video could have easily gone just about anywhere within the thousands of miles of Nova Scotia coastline and made the same video. Most of the Nova Scotia coastline is undisturbed and would have very similar habitats. So why did he chose that location? This is why I consider his video to be pompous and hypocritical (I assume he owns a home and drives a car).
I find your statements to be quite pompous to be equally pompous. So that is a moot point. What I was referring to was development where both the human and the natural setting are taken into account.

Take a look at what is happening in Toronto.
Video Link

They are incorporating nature and high density development together. Making for what will probably be one of the most fantastic urban areas in the country.

All I'm trying to say is that there was a fault in the planning here and not all factors were taken into consideration. I do think this is a great development, but I do not think it is the best we can do.