View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropicalbc View Post
I think places in south western ontario would be able for sure. What would happen if you experimented with the palms grown in southern california on the west coast. Do you think it would survive with protection or not?
I like Windmill palms, they give me a subtropical look so I would experiment with Windmill palms if they are available in Toronto. I wonder if Home Depot or Rona or other nursuries carry Windmill palms ?

Now I know at least the young ones are hardy down to only -8C according to wiki, so I would definitely protect them.

I think Toronto can grow Windmill palms, especially area near lake Ontario. Some microclimate near the lake might shift to 7b from 6b.

I did more measurements and comparison between my front and back yards, the spread under the same condition (sunny day, but my temperture sensors were placed under shades as direct sunlight will heat up the sensors to a whopping of 20 degrees warmer) was a whopping 5C approximately. That's enough to shift a full zone. So I am not surprised that microclimate in Toronto falls into the 7b zone which is warm enough to grow Windmill palms.

Direct sun: The reading is 20C higher but that's not accurate as the sensor is hidden inside the plastic case, so this plastic case creates another sub microclimate (like a green house) which boost the reading 20 degrees Celsius higher. I wouldn't use this reading though.