View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 4:32 AM
maƱana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Just forget it, Koops. He isn't even talking about urban sprawl, he's talking about rural areas, lol.
Yeah well the laugh is on you.... urban sprawl is about growth spreading into rural areas due to the influence of nearby large cities.... Do you think it is something else? I can recall when Toronto International Airport was on the outer edge of the city surrounded by farms... today it is not that far from the center... that's a lot of sprawl. Urban sprawl can be simply defined as the the uncontrolled expansion of urban areas into rural areas. The "Places to Grow" legislation will limit that to some extent... that was the whole point of the legislation... Toronto's sprawl was seen as a major problem by the people and government of Ontario.

Quote:
If someone wants to believe that the entire GGH would be one MSA rather than a CSA by US standards, and that "massive sprawl" in the form of isolated hamlets and single mansions are replacing farms in one of most expensive housing markets in Canada, then more power to them. There's no use showing maps or images of the huge size of Chicagoland, or providing stats of urban density, or Toronto CMA having 3x transit ridership of Chicago MSA, or providing any other such evidence. People will believe whatever they want to believe, it's as simple as that.
I will agree that the entire GGH would likely not be a MSA (more like a CSA indeed)... but it's MSA would be far larger than what Stats Canada states for its CMA.

The fact that Toronto's housing is expensive is part of what drives the sprawl. Toronto's TTC for the most part (street cars and subway) doesn't stretch out much beyond the core of the city. Those systems are very busy but quite small actually. Any city has buses. The core is dense, the outer suburbs are less so. I mean what's so dense about Newmarket? Demonstrating that city A is denser than city B, doesn't prove that city A isn't associated with a lot of sprawl especially when the size of its CMA is understated in the first place.
Sure, people will believe what they want.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Nov 3, 2016 at 5:42 AM.