View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack
That's interesting. My impression would have been that for people who even remotely pay attention to such things, Prairie cities (Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary and Edmonton) are all lumped together as fairly equivalent in terms of crime. And are all seen as slightly "dangerous", at least by Canadian standards.

Of course there is a racial element to these perceptions as well, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think another factor is how Edmonton flies under the radar for most Canadians. It always amazes me how much more attention we get in Calgary as opposed to Edmonton, and being extremely similar cities that are basically the same sze, you would expect some degree of parity.
Saskatoon with 3 murders to date in 2017 and Regina with 5 is closer to average per capita compared to other Canadian cities but its not uncommon for Saskatchewan cities to get lumped in with rest of Prairies, with Calgary's ~20, Winnipeg's 20+ or Edmonton's 30+ murders to date.
I think Saskatchewan suffers from same flying-under-radar unless something exceptionally criminal resets barometer on Canadians perception of the province, rightly.. but more likely wrongly.